TUNE IN TO BBC RADIO 2
BBC Radio 2 and BBC One are raising the curtain with a very special show direct from the West End, the US and beyond, featuring a spectacular cast of UK and international stars performing songs from some of the worlds best-loved musicals.
We are excited to reveal that four of Andrew’s shows will participate in the event: Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella, The Phantom of the Opera, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Sunset Boulevard.
Hosted on radio and television by multi-award winning performer Sheridan Smith, the event puts the songs, the shows, and the stars, back on stage at the world-famous London Palladium. It will be broadcast from 7pm – 9pm on Sunday 31 January on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Sounds, and as a 75-minute show in February on BBC One and BBC iPlayer. It will be available on BBC iPlayer for a year after broadcast.
The performance highlights – some exclusively for the Radio 2 broadcast – include (note, plans are subject to change at short notice):
- Amanda Holden and Sheridan Smith perform I Know Him So Well, from Chess. The song, originally performed by Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson, reached Number 1 in the UK Pop Charts in 1985 remains the best-selling song by a female duo
- Nicole Scherzinger with Never Enough from The Greatest Showman – with her performance recorded in Los Angeles
- Exclusively for Radio 2, Josh Groban sings The Impossible Dream from Man Of La Mancha – with his vocal performance recorded in Los Angeles
- Exclusively for Radio 2, Elaine Paige with Sunset Boulevard’s As If We Never Said Goodbye. Elaine made her Broadway debut in Sunset Boulevard in 1996
- Gavin Spokes, from the West End production of Hamilton, performs You’ll Be Back
- Michael Ball performs You Can’t Stop The Beat from Hairspray
- Sheridan Smith performs Don’t Rain On My Parade from Funny Girl
- An exclusive first performance by Ivano Turco of Only You, Lonely You from Cinderella (which is due to open in London in 2021).
- The cast of SIX The Musical performing SIX
- Ramin Karimloo sings The Music Of The Night from The Phantom Of The Opera
- The three West End lead actors of MAMMA MIA! perform Dancing Queen
- Aisha Jawando of the West End production of TINA, The Tina Turner Musical performs The Best
- Lea Salonga performs I Dreamed A Dream from Les Misérables – with her performance recorded in Manila
- Layton Williams of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie performs The Wall In My Head
- Sam Tutty sings You Will Be Found from Dear Evan Hansen, alongside members of the West End cast
- Nicole Raquel Dennis of Dreamgirls with And I Am Telling You
- Kerry Ellis sings Defying Gravity from Wicked
- Exclusively for Radio 2, Christine Allado and Alexia Khadime perform the Oscar-winning song When You Believe from The Prince Of Egypt
- Jac Yarrow, with the public, performing Any Dream Will Do from Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat
Take part in the Joseph virtual sing-a-long with Jac Yarrow
The TV show wants the public to be part of the action too by making a video of themselves performing “Any Dream Will Do” from Andrew and Tim Rice’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! By uploading footage via the website, you will have the chance to be part of this very special moment on BBC One.
Full details and terms and conditions are at bbc.co.uk/musicals.